Our Critical Differences
Laura Jeffrey Academy – unique in many ways
LJA is the first girl-focused charter school in Minnesota. Our purpose is to provide a unique and exciting educational opportunity for students aged ten to fourteen, a time when research shows that girls in a traditional co-ed school often lose their academic motivation.
Studies indicate that, regardless of their backgrounds, adolescent girls benefit from a learning environment that builds academic competency and enhances self-worth – predictors of life-long success.
What makes LJA Special
- The curriculum focuses on increasing competence and confidence in math and science through a comprehensive liberal arts education.
- The environment fosters a climate of physical activity and good health which lead to students' academic and emotional well being.
- Arts, music and technology are essential parts of the LJA curriculum.
- LJA serves a culturally diverse student body.
- Learning is a social experience where students develop the skills to set goals and solve problems.
- After-school tutoring which has been shown to exponentially increase scores in math, reading and science, will be available at no cost to LJA students.
- LJA's curriculum meets all state and federal standards.
- Small classes and low student-to-educator ratio ensure that students get individualized attention.
- LJA is a year-round school: between regular sessions students can participate in rich experiential learning opportunities.
- Students wear uniforms, removing distractions and enhancing the learning environment.
- Student clubs and extracurricular athletics give students opportunity for community engagement, leadership and competition.
1550 Summit Avenue • Saint Paul, Minnesota 55105 • 651-414-6000