Laura Jeffrey Academy will provide an environment where students are free to learn, to explore their potential, to discover their brilliance and develop their intellect.
LJA’s motto is “Asking questions, making choices.” Learning to ask key questions is crucial to becoming a critical thinker. Students create success by making informed choices that have a positive impact on self and community.
Learning – beyond the basicsLaura Jeffrey Academy’s School Framework is based on a holistic approach to education, addressing teaching and learning, resiliency, school climate and organizational effectiveness. We provide a stimulating learning environment with clear expectations and opportunities to celebrate student learning. LJA’s Interdisciplinary Power Standards and assessment process ensure that personal, school, state and federal standards are achieved. LJA serves approximately 200 students in grades five through eight. LJA incorporates
in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM), and Language Arts and Social Studies (LASS). The STEM focus is arts and fitness infused with courses offered in Visual Arts, Theater, Choir, Strings, Women's Studies, Physical Education, and Health. Academic success is supported through an inclusive special education program, a social worker/dean of students, educational assistants, a literacy specialist and a math specialist.
Take a look at our Classroom Pages to see scholars and teachers at work!
- Practicing Mutual Responsibility and Individual Accountability. We work together to solve problems and are accountable for our own choices and our impact on the community and the environment as a whole.
- Searching for Truths. We build communities of inquiry capable of supporting free and open conversation on the most important issues.
- Building Empathy. We try to be aware of the situations and experiences of other people so that we can act in ways that are sensitive to the way they see the world.
- Developing Generosity of Spirit. We assume that each of us tries to do what we believe is right and just, and we ask each other how we see things that lead us to act as we do.
- Becoming Competent. We help each other become increasingly able to bring about the results we each desire. We believe that effort creates competence and competence helps build confidence.
- Acknowledging Paradox and Dilemma. We make progress at LJA by opening our minds to complexity while continuing to take action in response to the paradox or dilemma.
- Recognizing Strength in Vulnerability. We value help from others in seeing our short comings and potential as we continue to evolve and grow.
1550 Summit Avenue • Saint Paul, Minnesota 55105 • 651-414-6000