LJA students are getting the attention of some pretty amazing people and organizations. More commentary and pictures can be seen on our Facebook page. Here are just a few of our most public happenings:
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2016-17
Holy Trinity has been awarded the MIP grant for the "Community Conversations for Racial/Ethnic Reconciliation and Understanding" series and will be partnered with LJA to fulfill this work.
SciGirls has chosen LJA to partner on their National Science Foundation Award. We are fortunate to be able to bring their programming to our scholars!
Wednesday, March 8th is International Day of the Woman. On this day, LJA will be participating in “A Day Without a Woman.” Please see the attached letter from our Executive Director, Jennifer Schiller, for more information.
- MPR visits LJA the day after the election to interview students about their reaction to the results. Girls reflect on election: 'Having a woman president would make every girl feel like they have a voice'
- Non-Profits Assistance Fund wrote a client article on LJA.
LJA Makes News - 2015-16
Minnesota Dept of Education and the University of MN: "LJA has been identified as exemplary in the way LJA addresses middle school sexuality in a variety of contexts (art, science, health)."
March 2016: Congrats Urban Debate Tournament participants! At the City Championship, the partnership of Bryanna P. and Zaria V. won 10th in Novice division. Gitanjali M., Katherine H., and Maddie L. won 4th in Junior Varsity division. Students can also receive awards based on their personal performance. Gitanjali was 10th speaker in Junior Varsity division.
- November 2015: Monte E. is the lead actor in the Harding High School play, "“While the Lights Were Out” (An Off-the-Wall Murder Farce by Jack Sharkey)
- November 2015: Ruby S. is one of 13 SPPS students who were chosen for the student advisory team.
- November 2015: Five LJA Alum are named National Merit Scholar semi-finalists. http://www.nationalmerit.org/nmsp.php
- September 2015: Laura Jeffrey Academy received the Minnesota Department of Education's second highest award for Title 1 schools of "Celebration Eligible" for it's growth made based on the Multiple Measurements Rating (MMR) and Focus Rating (FR) during the 2014-15 school year. Click here for Press Release.
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2014-15
Jennifer Schiller is named as LJA's new Executive Director. Read the press release here.
On February, 14th, 7th grader, Julia N. received the 2015 Donaldson Science award, presented at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Read more about her accomplishments here.
On Nov 16th, LJA 7th grader, Madison M. was co-host of the MPR kids science show, Brains On! This episode was all about Dogs and the secret of their sense of smell. Madison learned a lot, asked great questions, and experienced what it was like to co-host an on-air show. As a bonus she got to tour the studio and met some of the main DJ's at The Current. Exciting stuff! Listen to the podcast here.
7th grader, Netta, met Marcus Samuelsson, a judge on the show "Chopped" and owner of "The Red Rooster" restaurant in Harlem.
Julia was interviewed by Roshini on WCCO Radio, Sunday, September 28th. She spoke about her experience working as a team to develop an app to take a STAND against sexual violence. Thanks, Roshini and Technovation MN! We're looking forward to this year's competition and will be more than prepared with our computer programming work already underway. Listen to the podcast here.
On-going Student Accomplishments
- Congratulations to Lauren O. for winning a blue ribbon at the Minnesota State Fair for her artwork! (dragon, right)
LJA raised $2,852.47 for the American Heart Association. Kelly B's classes participated in the American Heart Association fundraiser, and as a school we raised $2,852.47! That is awesome for a school our size, and one of the highest the Association has ever received from a small school.
8th grade graduate gives a speech on her experience at LJA.
- The LJA Urban Debate Team had a great showing at the Spring Opener tournament, and advanced to the Championships. Two students, Asha B. and Kat M., were declared the Varsity Champions!
- Thanks to a grant from Delta Dental, LJA was able to plant a vegetable garden and host a healthy cooking class. Students helped turn our courtyard into a beautiful space where they can hang out and learn about vegetables. (image, right)
- The 6th grade math class teamed up with Urban Boat Builders to create another “Student Made – Student Powered” canoe like the one in our hallway. Students worked to bend the wood and put the canoe together, and integrated their math skills throughout the project.
- 8th graders participated in a “Day of Service,” where they helped the St. Paul community by raking leaves for elderly residents near our school, making and packing sandwiches for a nearby shelter, and creating centerpieces for an adult daycare.
- Paxton A. attended an elegant event at the Governor’s Residence where she was awarded a Red Wagon Award for her outstanding efforts in community service and leadership. Only 10 middle and high school students won this award in all of Minnesota.
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2013-14
Congratulations, Austen H. (7th grader)! Austen was the only student selected to meet Hilary Rodham Clinton, on July 20th during her book signing event at Common Good Books. Austen was chosen after submitting a short essay on her love of books, political ventures, activities at LJA, and her involvement in her family's small business. She also met Senator Franken, Mayor Coleman, and was interviewed by the Star Tribune.
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2012-2013
On December 6th, 2012 Cindy Reuther, founder-executive director of LJA was awarded the Women of Distinction Award 2012. Read about the great news from Pioneer Press: Education Notes: News from school near you!
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2011-2012
Laura Jeffrey Academy nurtures strong, growing middle schoolers in Saint Paul - Twin Cities Daily Planet (May 2012)
LJA Goes Farming Star Tribune article on Women's Environmental Institute and LJA Girls (August 2011)
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2010-2011
Minnesota Parent cover story on LJA, "Gaining Confidence in a Girl-Focused Charter School." (October 2010)
See LJA featured on Kare 11 News "What's Cool in School" (5/13/10)
LJA MAKES NEWS - 2008-2009
Read the Star Tribune article Loud and Proud at Girl-Focused School (11/24/08)
Minnesota Women's Press featured article about LJA, outlining the hard work and vision of its' founders. Click here for the link to the article (04/02/08)